Thread: Reaganomics
View Single Post
Old August 17th, 2012, 03:32 AM   #45 (permalink)
OutofDate1980

Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJGoSurf View Post
Now I understand. You have the philosophy you make more money than me so you should pay more in taxes. Quite the silly way to look at things. I looked up what tax bracket I would have been in right after the Reagan era tax cuts. Screw the poor if I have to give up half my income that I worked so hard to get. I make six figures but that was only after getting shot for five years as an infantryman, then spending the next few years in a engineering college barely getting by on my GI Bill (that I paid for to receive), and then getting sent back to the same awful countries to show them how to extract their oil. I deserve everything I get.

You may find this hard to believe but no corporation pays income tax. Yes, you will say the corporate income tax is XX% but that doesn't matter as a corporation will merely raise their prices to make up the difference.

With a third of the country on some form of welfare now I think cutting government programs might be the best idea. If people are no longer being taken care of they find other means to support themselves.
I served in an earlier period, pay was lower, but if you survived, benefits were better. You might want to look into price elasticity and product substitution. The last President that served in the regular military was Carter.

G.I. Bill - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

As the funding levels increased, the numbers of veterans entering higher education rose correspondingly. In 1976, ten years after the first veterans became eligible, the highest number of Vietnam-era veterans were enrolled in colleges and universities. By the end of the program, proportionally more Vietnam-era veterans (6.8 million out of 10.3 million eligible) had used their benefits for higher education than any previous generation of veterans.[citation needed]

Contrary to some stereotypes of Vietnam veterans, most who served in Vietnam used their benefits to construct productive and successful lives after service.[citation needed] Education benefits during the Vietnam era did not have the same impact on higher education as the original 1944 Bill because higher education had become much more commonplace in America.[citation needed] But the G.I. Bills of this period did have a similarly positive impact on the lives of the beneficiaries.[citation needed]