View Single Post
Old August 17th, 2012, 11:06 PM   #14 (permalink)
A.Nonymous

Device(s): Motorola Razr M, Galaxy Tab 10.1 I/O edition
Carrier: Not Provided

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutofDate1980 View Post
By using the terms, "I heard a story ...", "... mythical guy ...", "... this story is just a fable ...", most would conclude this is a fable.

As you are interested in fables, this one concerns a religion which is always evolving to reflect its creators and their various factions. It's like multiple choice with no wrong answers.

Christian views on poverty and wealth - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

"Wealth as an offense to faith

According to Kahan, there is a strand of Christianity that views the wealthy man as "especially sinful". In this strand of Christianity, Kahan asserts, the day of judgment is viewed as a time when "the social order will be turned upside down and ... the poor will turn out to be the ones truly blessed."[5]

David Miller suggests that this view is similar to that of the third century Manicheans who saw the spiritual world as being good and the material world as evil with the two being in irreconcilable conflict with each other.[4] Thus, this strand of Christianity exhorts Christians to renounce material and worldly pleasures in order to follow Jesus. As an example, Miller cites Jesus' injunction to his disciples to "take nothing for the journey."Mark 6:8-9"

"Wealth as an obstacle to faith

According to David Miller, Martin Luther viewed Mammon (or the desire for wealth) as "the most common idol on earth". Miller cites Jesus' encounter with the rich ruler Mark 10:17-31 {{{3}}} as an example of wealth being an obstacle to faith. According to Miller, it is not the rich man's wealth per se that is the obstacle but rather the man's reluctance to give up that wealth in order to follow Jesus. Miller cites Paul's observation in 1st Timothy that, “people who want to get rich fall into temptation and a trap and into many foolish and harmful desires that plunge men into ruin and destruction." 1 Timothy 6:9 . Paul continues on with the observation that "the love of money is the root of all evil." 1 Timothy 6:10

Miller emphasizes that "it is the love of money that is the obstacle to faith, not the money itself."[4]"

"Wealth as an outcome of faith

Prosperity theology first came to prominence in the United States during the Healing Revivals in the 1950s. Some commentators have linked the genesis of prosperity theology with the influence of the New Thought movement. It later figured prominently in the Word of Faith movement and 1980s televangelism. In the 1990s and 2000s, it became accepted by many influential leaders in the charismatic movement and has been promoted by Christian missionaries throughout the world. It has been harshly criticized by leaders of mainstream evangelicalism as a non-scriptural doctrine or as an outright heresy."
As I said, I'm not going to get into a discussion of the religious theology. I will take a moment to note that everything you posted above is a warning against greed, not against being rich. The two are completely separate. In any case, I was just looking for a source of this fable where apparently it is impossible for the rich to get into nirvana. Apparently there isn't one?

As mentioned earlier, Jesus was buried in a rich man's tomb so apparently his disciples desecrated his body? And then they recorded the fact that they desecrated his body for everyone to know? WTF is up with that?

Anyway, the idea that wealth is evil really makes no logical sense. I like to consider myself a good person or at the very least I try to be one. If I get a call tomorrow that a rich relative has died and left me with $100 million dollars am I now an evil person because I'm now rich? And what am I to do? If I run out and give this money to the first homeless guy I see, then I've now made him rich. So I can be good, but I've caused him to be evil. I certainly can't consider myself a good person if I'm running around making other people evil. So maybe I donate it to a charity. Now I can be good again, but now the charity is evil because they're rich. So if I hold on to the money, then I'm evil. If I give it away, then whomever takes it becomes evil. If I tell the court I don't want the money, it just goes to some other heir and I've now caused them to be evil. It's just silly.

Money is nothing more than something that reveals a person's character more than anything. At least that's my opinion. You see someone that is rich and evil, and they would've been just as evil if they were poor. You see someone who is rich and good and they'd have been just as good if they were poor.