View Single Post
Old August 18th, 2012, 05:03 PM   #77 (permalink)
Rachel A

Device(s): VZW GS3 4.0.4 Rooted, Droid Incredible (Retired) , Motorola Xoom 4.0.4 (Unrooted)
Carrier: Not Provided

Quote:
Originally Posted by kanezfan View Post
I just bought a 32gb card and moved my music and pictures to it. My question is, can I also move the apps I installed onto it and will they still just work or do I have to do something to make my phone know where they moved? Will the icons remain on the screen I put them on?

Would be nice to just be able to transfer this card to a new phone when the time comes to upgrade and just have all my stuff ready to go.

Sorry if this is a dumb question, I had an iphone up until a month and a half ago.
First off, installing an app to an SD card only moves parts of the app. There are always other bits left behind that are required so you'd never be able to just move an SD card to another phone and have those apps available.

Given that the S3 comes with, at a minimum, 16GB, you should have plenty of space. Having said that there are some apps (games) that have multi GB files that are usually downloaded separately. I think from what I've read that you do need to be rooted to be able to move these files, and even then, the method only works for some publishers.
The Following User Says Thank You to Rachel A For This Useful Post:
kanezfan (August 18th, 2012)