View Single Post
Old August 18th, 2012, 06:40 PM   #1482 (permalink)
mannyp

Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Received my ZTE V970 the other day. Spent a few days with it now so like EmilF, I'd also like to share my thoughts on the device.

Delivery to London took 3 days and unfortunately I was hit with a customs charge (14.10).

I ordered some screen protectors which were included in the box. I'm not 100% sure that they are specifically for this particular handset as there is a cut-out on the top right (maybe for a front facing camera of a similarly designed device?). However, apart from this, it is a 100% fit and the screen response doesn't seem to be affected.

Speaking of similarly designed devices, I've noticed that the Newman N1 seems to have the exact same body, button and port layout and even rear camera and lens position. Although it is stated to have an 8mp camera and a front camera too. Could the screen protectors be for this device? I have one of these on back order with etotalk so I'll update when it eventually arrives.

Back to the V970, after spending a few days with it, it is a fantastic phone for the price. EmilF has already highlighted the positives of this handset and I agree. Very slick and fluid. I've managed to set-up 2 SIM cards (Vodafone & T-Mobile) successfully with ease.

I was currently using an iPhone 4S and a Sony Xperia Ray but I have now sold both of those. In terms of smoothness and speed, it blows away the Xperia Ray. Obviously I found the iPhone UI and apps more polished but I can do everything I need to do with the V970. I will probably end up buying the new iPhone anyway but I can safely say that I am very happy with this purchase.

The battery does seem to deplete quickly and I'm sure it takes longer to charge than my old Iphone 4S but these days I'm used to charging my phones every night.

Etotalk have installed their own custom ROM. There is an Etotalk logo and sound on startup and shutdown. Anyone know how to remove this? There is also an Etotalk Tools app for updates, recovery, engineer mode etc.

One problem I have is that the keyboard seems to have no English dictionary. There are no word suggestions as I type, and for some reason, 95% of the words I have typed have the red line underneath them. Any suggestions?