From the U8800 FAQ's Manual:
1.6.1 Am I able to take pictures or videos when the SD card is
Yes, you are able to take pictures or videos when the SD card is unavailable.
1.6.2 What is the default saving path of pictures or videos? How
do I change the path?
1. When the SD card is available:
The default saving path for pictures is sdcard/DCIM/Camera.
The default saving path for videos is sdcard/DCIM/Camera.
2. The path can’t be changed.
1.6.3 Why am I unable to open certain pictures or start certain
1. The phone does not support the file format.
2. The phone memory is insufficient. Please close some running third-party applications.
3. The file is damaged.
4. The file is copy-right protected.
5. Unknown error occurs to the application or phone system. This is very rare case and you can restart the phone to try them again.
Because of the size of the internal memory, you can use the camera without the SD card. Hope this info helps. If you look at the saving path listed, you should be able to find your photos. Cheers Neil.