View Single Post
Old March 27th, 2010, 11:55 PM   #10 (permalink)
Jon Nale

Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmodert66 View Post
I find this amusing that you use the Droid as an example. The "functions" you speak of are created by Google. Most if not all of the coding takes place in the US, so I don't really see how that is a valid argument...

**EDIT** Although I do agree, outsourcing is bad in general...
I was thinking the same exact thing.

I think the reason some features that seem like common sense are missing is due to the fact that engineers design software.

For example, I have a good friend who is a professional graphic design artist. I am a computer scientist, and I really like CS theory.

I was working on some program awhile back, and my friend was asking me if he could see it. I showed it to him, and he said to me, "why do you have it set up this way? why don't you move this here, put this over there, and change the color of this." What he told me to do made so much sense, and made my program look and function so much better.

And it is not just me. I know other computer scientists that are just like this.

Furthermore, I think sometimes the problem is with people not understanding how programming works. For example, I cannot tell you how many times someone has said to me, "you should design a program that does X", and the thing they say is so ridiculously complicated that it would take years to complete if I had a full development team (which I don't have).