Thread: Kindle
View Single Post
Old August 30th, 2012, 03:41 AM   #85 (permalink)
breadnatty08
Pain de Cacao

Device(s): LG G2, Moto G, Galaxy S3, Galaxy Nexus LTE, Nexus 7, HTC Flyer
Carrier: Verizon

Thanked 6,035 Times in 3,954 Posts

Sorry for the late response, Don, was at work all day yesterday.
Pros:
It's fast! Faster than my Prime even though it's the same processor, JB has a lot to do with it.
Stock Android is the way to go (in my opinion). Development for it is really picking up, but I'm not a huge flasher now with ICS and JB.
It's really lightweight, portable and nice to hold compared to the Fire which is thicker, heavier, and has rougher edges.

Cons:
Storage, one of everyone's gripes. I got the 8Gb version mainly because I store very little media on my devices and stream virtually everything. Well, Nandroids can run into 2-3Gb each! Learned that 2-3 backups on the device eat up a huge chunk of space.
Screen size, well, it's 7". Same as the Fire, but if you're looking for 10", you won't get it here.
No 3G. Not really a con for most, and it tethers just fine to my Gnex when I'm out.
No access to Amazon Prime (if you're a member) for free streaming.

That's about all I can think about it so far. I honestly do love this little thing and find myself using my Prime less and less. It's great for lounging around the house or taking it on the go when the laptop is just impractical. Give it a shot, I don't think you'll be disappointed. Just for kicks, you may want to checkout the Samsung GTab 2 7". For $250 you get an 8Gb version (but it is expandable via SD Card) and a keyboard dock at Best Buy. You'll probably be waiting a LONG time for a JB update, but for the keyboard and expandable storage, it's a nice option.
Samsung - Galaxy Tab 2 7.0 with 8GB Memory - White - F-GT-P3113ZWYX
Cheers!
Site Rules and Guidelines
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to breadnatty08 For This Useful Post:
DonB (August 30th, 2012), Harry2 (August 30th, 2012)