Thread: Reaganomics
View Single Post
Old August 31st, 2012, 11:53 AM   #63 (permalink)
ElasticNinja

Device(s): Galaxy S3 Mini, ZTE Blade
Carrier: Not Provided

ciaranhurley0@gmail.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by PH8AL View Post
Yeah the first bit was meant as humor. I got the idea from something you said that you were Welsh. I did not pay attention to your location listed so neatly under your avatar. very few people do that so. Its funny you remind me a lot of some one I know from that area.
People from the British Isles speak English and the islands have been united in some way for most of the past thousand or so years. Wouldnt be surprising that we phrase things the same.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PH8AL View Post
The farming business. Until you have traveled acroos the mid west its hard to wrap your brain around it.
We grow more food here than they do any where and its dwindling because of petrochemical fertilizers. The really should scare the hell out of every one globally. Our country having any kind of disruption in food processing or delivery should. While many might not starve to death many more would.
Reagan's watch is when we saw the first Farm Aid benefit and Reagan's policies were one of the leading problems in my opinion.
Well farming needs to become more sustainable then? European agricultural payments have become more and more focused on sustainability and quality, rather than quantity. As far as I know yields are not decreasing.
US agri needs a lot of reform. Apparently most cows in the US dont even graze? That seems a bit mad. And of course theres the whole corn thing. Corn is in every US food product and it certainly doesnt help the taste. Not to mention the whole corn-biofuels debacle which was conveniently tied up by farmers and oil companies. Its massively inefficient and a waste of agri production.
That said the checks and balances nature of the US political system prevents any sort of reform, as you never have a stable set of politicians in charge for 4/5 years. But realistically the feds should copy what Europe's been doing and try to bring back in small and medium farmers too.