View Single Post
Old September 2nd, 2012, 09:16 PM   #81 (permalink)
A.Nonymous

Device(s): Motorola Razr M, Galaxy Tab 10.1 I/O edition
Carrier: Not Provided

Quote:
Originally Posted by RazorSharp View Post
Social contract - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

In political philosophy the social contract or political contract is an intellectual construct, originating during the Enlightenment, that typically addresses the questions of the origin of society and the legitimacy of the authority of the state over the individual. Social contract arguments typically posit that individuals have consented, either explicitly or tacitly, to surrender some of their freedoms and submit to the authority of the ruler or magistrate (or to the decision of a majority), in exchange for protection of their rights. The question of the relation between natural and legal rights, therefore, is often an aspect of social contract theory.
Are you using it in the sense that we have surrendered some of our freedoms (like the freedom to rape and pillage without consequence) for protection of our rights (speech, property, etc...)? If that's the case, then yes I believe in that. I've heard some use the social contract argument to make a case that we have a moral obligation to care for every member of society regardless of why they need to be cared for.