View Single Post
Old September 11th, 2012, 03:36 PM   #3 (permalink)
steffes

Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringside View Post
Hello all,

I have a pretty basic question that I'm hoping I can get an answer to. I have a recently rooted and unlocked at&t S2 and I'm wanting to get a cheaper option as far as my monthly bill is concerned.

As my phone is unlocked can I get a cheap phone from either Virgin ($35 per month) or Tmobile ($30 per month) and then activate the new SIM in my S2 and use that on the new plan?

I'm hoping so.

Thanks!
hi, i recently bought a 2nd hand, like new at&t s2 (i777) and plan to try the straight talk monthly no-contract plan ($45) unlimited talk/text/web. i have been using the samsung t679 4g t-mobile phone with t-mobile's $30/month plan, but switched to straight talk a few months ago and continued to get the exact same 4g speeds i got with the $30/month plan, but could not find an adequate work around for the measly 100 minutes of talk that plan provides. i had hoped to used voip app for additional unlimited talk minutes, however could never get adequate signal unless at home via wifi so i switched to straight talk. wanting a larger screen and faster phone i decided to get the s2.

i called at&t this morning to request an unlock code by explaining i will need to use phone in europe on upcoming trip. i told at&t that i had not purchased a sim card for my s2 yet since i might be in europe for a few weeks and after i gave her my imei number from my s2 she provided me the unlock code within a couple minutes. i then swapped out my t-mobile sim card (from straight talk) that i've been using in my t679 t-mobile 4g phone and entered the 8-digit unlock code that the at&t lady gave me and voila, i was using my s2 on straight talk, using t-mobile network. as the last poster said, i am currently only getting the slow 2g/Edge speed from home, but hope this is because i'm not close enough to a 3/4g tower. if i can't improve speed, i will slap in an at&t sim card ($15 from straight talk) and hopefully get 3g/4g from their network. i will let you know what speeds i get when swapping to the at&t sim card from straight talk.