Thread: Support Screen dims for no reason
View Single Post
Old September 14th, 2012, 04:05 PM   #11 (permalink)
thecarlsoncrew
Thread Author (OP)

Device(s): Razr Maxx running Cyanogenmod 10.1, Nexus 7 running stock + root
Carrier: Not Provided

I contacted Verizon for help, just for fun. I wondered if perhaps the light sensor was malfunctioning somehow. The one useful thing they told me was that the Razr has kind of a 'safe mode' where you can diagnose whether problems are related to the hardware, or to apps. Reboot the phone normally, and then when the red eye comes up, hold both volume buttons (up and down together) until it boots into safe mode. Seems like I held them for at least 10-12 seconds before it kicked in. Anyway, It's kind of a stripped-down stock version of ICS, but only the basic functionality worked (including, apparently, only the basic and/or stock apps). Testing there, it seems that my brightness worked correctly 100% of the time, so they told me that meant the problem in normal mode was being caused by an app that was somehow modifying the screen brightness automatically behind the scenes. That's not what I wanted to hear, but I suppose it at least narrows things down. I'll probably test uninstall a few apps and see if I get lucky, but I suspect I'll end up doing a factory reset. Ugh