View Single Post
Old September 17th, 2012, 11:48 AM   #71 (permalink)
A.Nonymous

Device(s): Motorola Razr M, Galaxy Tab 10.1 I/O edition
Carrier: Not Provided

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElasticNinja View Post
Solar is still inefficient, might be better to put that money into R&D.
Building a lot of new nuclear plants, upgrading dams etc, would give large amounts of temporary work.
We haven't built a nuclear plant here in more than 20 years. They are efficient and give out a lot of "clean" power, but environmentalists tend to oppose them every time one is proposed. Plus, people here in the US don't want to live anywhere close to one. They fear Chernobyl or Fukushima will happen in their backyard. People here just don't want them at the end of the day.

Quote:
Two dollar tax on a gallon really needs doing. It would be nice to see a carbon tax that everybody pays on fuel, from petrol to heavy fuel oil.
Proposing either of those things will get you tarred and feathered here in the States. Prepare for your opponent accusing you of hating the poor and the middle class. When you're basically proposing $5.50-6.00 a gallon gasoline, you are not going to get anyone to go along with you.

Quote:
They would if they had to pay far more to run and own a car, and light rail was affordable.
Would have to be affordable and practical as well. If it is affordable, but takes me longer than driving the car, I, and a lot of other people, are going to stick with the car.