View Single Post
Old September 21st, 2012, 07:11 PM   #21 (permalink)
BrettP

Device(s): Galaxy tab 10.1
Carrier: Not Provided

Default Testing...

Quote:
Originally Posted by lale View Post
Per goingtothedese:

I tried this using these directions for my AT&T Samsung Galaxy S II :
1. Turn off the device.
2. Press and hold both the Volume up and Volume down keys at the same time.
3. Press the Power key only until the phone vibrates once, then release only the power key. Note: my phone did not vibrate, so I released only the power key when I saw "Samsung Galaxy S II" on the screen.
4. Continue to hold the Volume up and Volume down keys until the Android System Recovery screen appears.
5. Press the Volume down key to highlight Wipe Cache Partition.
6. Press the Power (or Home) key to select.
7. Make sure Reboot System Now is highlighted and press the Power (or Home) key to reboot.

I only had to replace one widget. When checking my battery under settings, I have 80% after 4.5 hours, the Android OS is @ 9% (down from 36%), and the Android System is @ 6% (down from 15 +%). My screen is using 75% of my battery, which is what I'd expect for how I have it set up.

I really didn't have any complaints after the ICS upgrade (like ICS better than GB) , but certainly haven't noticed any glitches since trying this.

I've tried this on a Vodafone NZ Galaxy SII that I stopped liking when it went from once a day charging to regularly having just 30% battery left at 1pm with almost no use, from a 7am full battery. This change immediately followed ICS installation. Really hoping this will fix it as I still do really like the SII, other than the fact that the battery life renders it useless. Not sure if I did the process quite right, as it restarted several times - I might have held volume buttons down too long - but it has definitely reset. I'll post back in a couple of days when I know what this has done to battery life. Thanks lale for this method. I wont ever buy Samsung again if this is not fixable. Distributing an "upgrade" that renders your device not fit for purpose for many customers and then not fixing it because you have an SIII to sell instead is a barbaric business model!