Originally Posted by EarlyMon
Then I suspect that it's the Facebook linking and a resolution change in the photos causing the slow loading.
I've confirmed that the slow loading of Contacts (which affects the Messaging app, People app, and and anything else that does contact lookup) is indeed related to Facebook Contact syncing. Once I reset my Contacts file and removed all Facebook data, everything was back to normal again.
Note that all of my contacts are stored in my gmail account so if you're going to follow the process I'm outlining below, make sure your contacts are either synced to your gmail or you made a backup from within the app.
- Disable Facebook Contact syncing of contacts (from Facebook settings or Settings -> Accounts & sync -> Facebook -> UNCHECK Sync Contacts/Sync Live Feed).
- Disable Google Contact syncing (Settings -> Accounts & sync -> Google -> UNCHECK Sync Contacts)
- Clear data of your contacts file. (Manage apps (All tab) -> Contacts Storage -> Force stop/Clear cache/Clear data)
- Restart device (to make sure all temp files are properly cleared)
- Launch Contacts and verify it's empty (except for the single My Profile which auto creates) and then exit it immediately
- Accounts & sync. Turn Google Contact Syncing back ON. (Leave Facebook syncing off for now.)
Voila! Once I did the above, speed of all the apps accessing my Contacts file was back to normal, and my Contacts file itself shrunk down from 37 MB to 6.5 MB!
PS - I haven't turned Facebook syncing back on just now since it's possible that turning it back on would slow everything down again. I'm not sure. For now, I prefer to just leave FB Contact syncing off until I have more time to play with it again.