Thread: Support Smart actions and WiFi
View Single Post
Old October 2nd, 2012, 07:06 AM   #10 (permalink)
euph_22

Device(s): Droid Razr, BN Nook Color (running CM 7). Formerly Droid Incredible I and Samsung Behold II (POS).
Carrier: Not Provided

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightowl66 View Post
I never have my Wi-Fi or GPS turned on. I manually turn Wi-Fi on at home if I think about it. Same with GPS if I need it, I didn't know if the phone could detect my network even with the Wi-Fi turned off, then turn itself on. I understand that if the GPS was on, then when I get home then Wi-Fi would turn on if set to do so.

No, in order for it to detect wifi networks, the wifi has to be turned on. i think it actually using the cell towers to figure out your location, so you wouldn't need you have the gps on constantly. (not that the GPS would be on constantly. If you enable the GPS, it only turns on when it if fixing your location, so the GPS only gets turned on for a couple of seconds every few hours.)

Honestly, you can just try leaving your wifi on, and seeing how your battery life changes. If there are no wifi networks around, it doesn't draw that much power. You could also install a toggle on the home screen to turn the wifi on/off. You could also set up a smart action to trigger the wifi based on your location or at a specific time. But those triggers aren't the most reliable.