View Single Post
Old October 2nd, 2012, 05:46 PM   #1 (permalink)
paroots
Thread Author (OP)

Device(s): Galaxy Nexus & Epic 4g Touch
Carrier: Not Provided

Default Best anti-theft app

I'm trying to select the best anti-theft app for my new Galaxy Nexus. I have evaluated several. My requirements are:
  1. Accepts commands via SMS
  2. Issues reports via email with picture and location
  3. Senses number of failed logins
  4. Issues emails on every failed login after x failed logins
  5. Clears lock screen after y failed logins
  6. Issues emails when screen opened once lock screen cleared
  7. Issue email with new phone number if SIM card is swapped
where x and y are set by user. The above criteria may not be clear, but the gist is that the app can sense failed logins and respond accordingly. Once a user-settable number of failed logins have occurred it should clear lock screen and allow the thief access This is to encourage continued use and allow owner to obtain picture of thief and his location. Of course, the reason for x is to avoid the issuance of emails during authorized usage. My requirements have been generated by a recent evaluation of GotYa. The concept behind the app is excellent IMO, but the implementation seems confusing. I would really like to evaluate other apps that follow the same overall functionality.

As an aside, GotYa does not require a server; it is totally standalone which is nice from a reliability and privacy standpoint. I like not having to depend on a 3rd party server. Another interesting feature is the ability to set minimum gps accuracy with a timeout. I set it to 7 meters with a 60 second timeout. I would like to hear about other apps that follow a similar functionality.
Pete
Last edited by paroots; October 3rd, 2012 at 06:25 AM.