View Single Post
Old October 2nd, 2012, 08:34 PM   #10 (permalink)
pfschim
Thread Author (OP)

Device(s): Galaxy S3
Carrier: Not Provided

[QUOTE=mikedt;5032667]
Quote:
Originally Posted by pfschim View Post

- NO MUSIC over USB and all related apps or functions.

Sorry but I'm not quite sure what you mean by that.

Isn't that dedicated iOS devices, like microphones and mixers, that use the proprietary 30pin dock port)NOT present on the iPhone 5) on those devices, rather than regular USB? Probably a good reason for not buying an iPhone 5. AFAIK no equivalents exist for Android devices.

I understand music over USB, is when I plug a USB stick or phone into the USB port on a car ICE system or a stereo system that has a USB port. I've found Android devices work just fine for this.
Android devices use USB as the interface (along with a 3.5mm stereo input), so Android is going to have to enable what's called music streaming over USB if the platform is ever expected to be used as a semi-serious music making device. The stereo jack is typically pretty poor quality and is plagued by noise (on any device). Androids somewhat close cousin uses music streaming over USB and a kernel app called ALSA (Advanced Linux Sound Architecture), to enable high quality music functions.

iOS devices with the original 30 pin port allowed direct links to the device DAC and core software functions that enable digital recording and other useful things for musicians. Its my understanding that the new Lightning port on iP 5 does not support much of the old 30pin port functions (including music streaming over USB), nor access to the internal DAC, so it is not currently a good fit for music apps like the ones I described. That's a major reason why I don't care about the iP5.

I don't have any experience with car audio systems that is meaningful to this conversation so I can't comment on how Android works in this environment.