View Single Post
Old October 5th, 2012, 07:25 AM   #13 (permalink)
Speed Daemon
Disabled

Device(s):
Carrier: Sprint

The specs fail to impress now that there's a sea of Android tablets on the market.

• The CPU is adequate, but no more than that.
  • The SVGA screen is obsolete in an age where HDTV resolutions are the big deal.
  • 1 GiB of RAM, again nothing to crow about.
  • 802.11 what? Mine can do N at 2.4 and 5.8GHz.
  • Bluetooth 4 is nice, if Bluetooth peripherals ever get really popular.
  • Using a mechanical HD instead of flash storage is obsolete.
  • Webcams, check.
  • Having two USB ports is a plus, especially the more rugged mini ones.
  • The 32GB SD card limitation is not good.
  • What kind of audio does the HDMI port support?
The "X" name and logo suggest support for the X Window system. That would be cool, but since you're not touting that as a feature I'm guessing that it's not a feature. Failing that, the last thing I'd want to do is be stuck with something "X" when the letter of the month is "Z". Unlike the Apple faithful, I'm not willing to spend most of my income on the latest thing. The built-in obsolescence of the name could be a problem.

The USB ports are the most promising. But I can't think what USB device I might want to use with a tablet. Even more so because I don't know which version(s) they support.

As a semi-pro shooter (video) who uses "big boy" optics (not tiny phone cameras) I'd rush to buy an Android tablet that had some unique feature like HDMI in, to enable a 1080p screen to display the output from my camcorder. Some other kind of connector, like IEEE-1394, Thunderbolt, or even full speed support for SDXC. How about an audiophile audio section? Something, anything that might separate this from the pack.