View Single Post
Old October 5th, 2012, 09:17 AM   #93 (permalink)
farendse

Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Default battery empty fast, Phone hot

Dear all,

I have some kind of horror story for you...

Last July I, my wife and daughter went on a holiday to the USA.

We left from Amsterdam and flew to Washintgton for the first two days. Right after we landed I switched on my Samsung Note N7000

Why I post this message, is because also in my case my phone became really hot and also the battery meter tells me that the display is causing it... 4 hours and the battery was empty...

I tried to switch off everything what I could, set the screen at 5% backlight and so on. After 1 or 2 recharges, I even throw away any email profile which I had...

Still same story; empty in 4 hours... I switched off whatever I could because walking in the city and maybe accidently lose my wife would be problematic if I couldn't call her...

No resolution found, we flew from Washington towards Orlando... After we left the airplane, same story... Hot phone and empty in 4 hours...

After 7 days we moved on towards Cocoa Beach. From that moment on my phone managed 15-24 hours on one recharge. This behaviour I also have in Holland...

Being electronics/radio tech/intenet tech I quickly realized it had something to do with the location where I was...

When we flew back to Holland, I was already quite suspicious about my phone bill from Vodafone... And yes, surprise! A real "Bill Shock" of 2.500,00 euro's...

After that I received the invoices from July and August I started to analyze the traffic and related dates... In total 200+ MB had been running and all was switched off!!! I even had changed into GSM mode only...

I found out that switching off everything didn't also meant that there was no traffic. The "H" was coming up all the time even in everything closed and deleted apps mode... I had my laptop with me and I even reflashed him...

Today I spent some time again to analyze what were my findings. Again, being technical for all of my life I googled up the AT&T network and looked at 4G/LTE.

It turns out that Washington and Orlando is 4G/LTE and Cocoa Beach is 3G...

Also - to be expected - in Cocoa Beach traffic is 3G/GPRS...

My wife had a NOKIA N8 with her and her traffic with Exchange activesinc was 5% of the total bill. Logic, because that phone doesn't support 4G/LTE...

I think we have a bug here... Probably some parameter tells you it is off, but in reality it isn't...

If there are some people which like to know if I can reproduce the same situation; YES I CAN!!!

Fred
The Following User Says Thank You to farendse For This Useful Post:
Dankees (October 5th, 2012)