View Single Post
Old October 6th, 2012, 03:40 AM   #5 (permalink)
drexappeal
AF Addict

Device(s): G Note 3 Sprint (Jet Black), LG G3 Sprint (Gold), MoPhoQ Sprint, Mopho Sprint & G Note 8.0 Wi-fi
Carrier: Sprint

Thanked 2,841 Times in 1,921 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by finndo77 View Post
not likely that the Optimus G will be a Nexus, although they could release an LG Nexus based off the original Optimus G design. It would be a wee bit silly to release the same phone under two names however, especially at the same time...

a Google Nexus device cannot have an SD card slot, as I mentioned in the other Optimus G thread. As this is a patent violation unless Microsoft is getting paid for each handset.
I didn't realize that Microsoft has a patent on the microSD card slot and like you said in the other thread, Google would have to license the rights to use that proprietary technology (slight correction from the term "royalties" because royalties would strictly be with reference to the payment, but using the technology would have to be licensed first prior to royalties being paid).

That said, Apple pays license fees for certain aspects of the iPhone that use other manufacturers technologies (the iPhone 5 uses a LG screen), so I wouldn't say it'd be "impossible" for Google to have the OEM's add a microSD to the Nexus phones, but it's less likely that they'd want to pay for the license to use Microsoft's patent.