View Single Post
Old October 6th, 2012, 04:36 AM   #20 (permalink)
Ceverol

Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleMike View Post
I used standalone TomTom units for several years and found their routing and estimated travel times to be excellent, mostly because of their IQ Routes, which uses actual travel speeds of the roadways in the routing calculations, based on the day of week and time of day you're traveling (in 15 minute intervals). However, their software was always buggy, and bugs tended to linger for multiple major releases of the software, while all the while they introduced new bugs.

I was really looking forward to this release, hoping to get better routing and route editing (road avoidance), but the price is a little steep, especially considering that it's only compatible with low end devices, or top of the line devices from 3 years ago. I really don't see users with a three year old phone, or a phone they spent $50 on (with contract) plunking down $50 on an app that will likely be incompatible with their next device.
TomTom (and Garmin) was king of the GPS hill until the introduction of smartphones. They've struggled to keep up since. It is TomTom's map data that drives iOS 6' maps and navigation app (Apple was desperate; they had to buy something).

You may want to try out free 'Waze'. It's a navigation app that introduces another data source besides historical data sources into the mix: realtime crowdsourcing!

Waze - Free GPS, Traffic and Gas App | Waze - YouTube