Originally Posted by merryjohn
OMG i FINALLY found a fix!!!!! i kept getting the "read-only file system" error with NO su installed/accessible.
After trying 3120597 different zergrushroot versions and 335 other root methods, i decided to go back to the basics.
Picked up a Samsung Galaxy Exhibit 4G (v. T679UVLG3) from WalMart
last night (specifics - Android 2.3.6, kernel 2.6.35, Baseband vers. T679UVLG3, Gingerbread)
, spent this AM trying different root methods, and yours *worked*. Dead simple, too, and verified to "stick" after a reboot. Now I can start getting rid of all of the 't-Bloat
' that litters the phone...
I would like to add a couple of tips where I had a stumble or two, since it was a little vague to me as related in the instructions on the xda-developers site. These things may well be self-evident to others, but when flashing Clockwork Mod:
- Place the Clockwork Mod zip on the phone *internal* storage, not your removable SD card - it's easier to get to there.
- When per the xda-dev site instructions you see the "open white box and droid" graphic (it's a picture/graphic of a box with a yellow/orange arrow coming out of the box, *not* a plain white square of a text box like I was expecting...) of Recovery mode, you press the *bottom left touchscreen button* to get the Recovery options menu, and...
- Use the next button to the right of that one to Select the menu option you have highlighted.
- The third button from left works as "Back"...
- Once Clockwork Mod is working, there is an option in the menu to mount your external SD card, if that is where the Busybox zip file is located.
- Those instructions call the Clockwork Mod file "cwm.galaxy.exhibit.zip", but as of this writing the actual file name to download and use is "cwm.6012.t679.zip".
I think from reading elsewhere that this particular phone model is essentially identical to and simply a re-branding of the Exhibit II, except that it has a newer kernel and OS installed which makes the other rooting methods like 'zerg' not work.
Thanks again for the instructions!