View Single Post
Old October 9th, 2012, 12:22 PM   #3 (permalink)
ral
Thread Author (OP)

Device(s): BlackBerry Z10
Carrier: Not Provided

Default Verifying md5sum

Okay, by now your thinking all I wanted to was flash this fancy ROM I downloaded, than someone referred me to this thread and I have wound up doing everything but flashing the ROM.

Well, we are getting there. These steps are important to make sure that whatever happens you will be able to get your phone back into a fully functional state.

Verifying the ROM

Lets say you decided you want to flash is:

Ice Cold Sandwich 8.7 - The file you downloaded will be name IceColdSandwich-8.7.AOKP-signed.zip

You will also find a md5sum number for the file: b655dfd6748a247a9cc42bebe0d8b1d7

This number is used to verify that the download is good and not corrupted. 4Ext Recovery can be used to verify the md5sum.

Transferring the ROM to your phone

First lets transfer the ROM, in this example IceColdSandwich-8.7.AOKP-signed.zip into the "root" of your SDCard. Sounds technical. All it means is do not put the file in a folder. Do not unzip them.
  • Plug your phone into your PC with the USB cable.
  • A notification will pop up asking if you want to plug in as "Charge only" or or "Disk drive". Select the Disk drive option. This effectively makes the SDCard on your phone into a flash drive.
  • Copy the file to the phones SDCard.
  • When done, unmount or eject as you would do with a flash drive.
  • Unplug the phone from the PC.

Okay, so lets go back into Recovery.

Select install from sdcard

On the next screen, select check md5sum of a file

The screen will now display the contents of you SDCard. The .zip file will be in the bottom so scroll down.

Pick the file and 4Ext will display the md5sum of the file. If will take a minute of so. Compare it with the one you got from the source of the ROM you downloaded.

If the numbers match, than you are good to go.

If not, it was either a bad download or the the file got corrupted when it was transferred to your phone.
Last edited by ral; October 11th, 2012 at 08:25 AM.
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to ral For This Useful Post:
almozaffar (November 7th, 2013), anasmunir (October 21st, 2012), D-U-R-X (October 12th, 2012), elyaku06 (March 8th, 2013), hooterbox (October 21st, 2012), ivicakc (December 15th, 2012), Izwoz (December 14th, 2012), nazzgull92 (June 1st, 2013), scotty85 (October 12th, 2012), Toxicseagull (January 19th, 2013)