View Single Post
Old October 12th, 2012, 08:21 PM   #391 (permalink)
gallid19086

Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Happy

Quote:
Originally Posted by marctronixx View Post
so you are not getting your unit for free? i pay no taxes or anything on the unit.

the documentation is for VOIP service that sprint DOES NOT OFFER. you are not using a VOIP service with the unit.. you are letting sprint route their calls and data through your comcast network. you are helping sprint by offloading your call traffic across your comcast cable.

since the airvana tech support cant troubleshoot other equipment thats connected to it, they recommend you put it before other devices. thats why. its not to give you better call quality, i have been using this service since at least 2008 and i can speak on experience that putting the airvana/airave unite behind the router will work best for the end user who only needs voice calls from sprint on their cellular phones.

all airvana/airave units have a number, thats how sprint sets up accounts. you cant use that number to make any calls to the device. when i had a mobile hotspot on my account, it had a number associated with it. you cant use it, its just for account purposes.

again, if you love your setup, thats awesome. I am just giving you my personal experience.

enjoy your service...
I received the unit free of charge, but they say I have to pay $4/month in federal taxes because of the "2nd line" But, I'm willing to for better coverage. (Versus the practically non-existent coverage I had before in my house)

And, apparently Sprint does offer VOIP services but only to business accounts at this time. Sprint Business - VoIP

Also, and I'm not sure why they had me do this, but the last time I was on the phone with an Airave tech, they had me go to a VOIP speed test website. I'm using the Airave 2.5 and there was some talk about VOIP support back in 2010 for this unit
The Following User Says Thank You to gallid19086 For This Useful Post:
marctronixx (October 12th, 2012)