View Single Post
Old October 18th, 2012, 10:16 AM   #23 (permalink)
mikedt
你好

Device(s): Oppo Find 7a, Samsung Galaxy Win Duos(spare), Lenovo P700i(retired), KIRF Galaxy Note(deceased)
Carrier: China Mobile

Thanked 2,861 Times in 2,068 Posts
Send a message via Skype™ to mikedt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rico ANDROID View Post
Thanks! Thats quite interestingto know, that China has its own search-tool secifically or innercontinent, or is it global and can switch language?
Baidu has it's own search-tool, that's really meant for China and is only in Chinese. However it does index non-Chinese websites as well, e.g. searching for "android forums", does give this website at the top.

It's accessible internationally, but is subject to Chinese internet laws. google.cn in Beijing doesn't do search in the Mainland, and going to google.com for search redirects to google.com.hk in Hong Kong SAR. However this is sometimes blocked in the Mainland.

Bing does officially do a search-tool in China via cn.bing.com, which is subject to the internet laws and to comply with its ICP license.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ICP_license

Baidu is the main search-tool for China, apparently 80% share. Just about all computers I've seen here have Baidu as the browser's homepage. When I bought my new Lenovo phone a few weeks ago, the default internet search was Baidu, and not Google or Bing.

AFAICT the vast majority of Chinese just never look at foreign sites. China has it's own home-grown equivalents to things like Twitter, Tumblr and Youtube, like Weibo, QQ Zone, Tudou and Youku.
There are nine million bicycles in Beijing.
There are nine million Androids in Shenzhen.
Last edited by mikedt; October 19th, 2012 at 07:48 AM.