View Single Post
Old October 20th, 2012, 10:06 AM   #30 (permalink)
Rico ANDROID
Thread Author (OP)

Device(s): GALAXY NOTE 2 .(aka T.E.D.6)....ROOTED!
Carrier: A Bentley Carries Me

Thanked 1,670 Times in 1,238 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikedt View Post
Quite a few Google services are restricted or are just not available in China at all, like Docs, Cloud storage, Youtube and Plus. Unless you use a VPN. Google's Chinese portal at google.cn, does offer unrestricted access to a few services though, like Maps, Translate, Gmail, Calendar and Contacts. Google China used to run a free music download and streaming service, but they discontinued it last month. AFAIK most people get their MP3 downloads via Baidu.

Rico, I don't know if you already knew this, but most Android devices sold in the Mainland don't have Google products and services on them either. including devices from non-Chinese makers like Samsung. Which is a frequent problem for anyone hoping for a bargain, with buying cheap Chinese phones or tablets on Ebay.
I think a lot of us take for granted even our everyday activity online. I havent experienced any restrictions like that youve mentioned, but, have read about some major crackdown underway here in the U.S. going into effect Nov 2012. Our cellphone and internet providers are going to restrict or block our ability to browse if we download copyrighted material after five warnings.

I can see the issue one would have if purchasing devices tweaked for services in one country and used in another country. Ive browsed google.cn. Very nice to know we all are only a click away yet thousands of miles inbetween.
The Following User Says Thank You to Rico ANDROID For This Useful Post:
mikedt (October 20th, 2012)