View Single Post
Old November 1st, 2012, 08:10 AM   #22555 (permalink)
MSUgEEk
Premium Member

Device(s): Galaxy Nexus
Carrier: Verizon

Thanked 1,622 Times in 956 Posts

Morning folks! Thanks to Copacetic I took the dive with Windows 8 last night. I ran the upgrade assistant advisor or whatever and it just had one program that it said didn't work and one that had an upgrade. One was Thunderbird e-mail client, it had an upgrade, so I just uninstalled and I'll re-install later if I need it. The other I think was the Windows defender or whatever is on Windows 7. I'm sure there's a replacement for Windows 8.

After that, it was a really quick install even with my dual-boot set up. I just had to sit there and make sure it didn't reboot and sit at the bootloader choice too long and go into Ubuntu. The first time, it booted 3-4 times and then the screen went blank and stayed blank on the last boot. So I powered down and it came back up saying it failed install and restored Windows 7 for me.

Turns out it was my fault. I tried again and figured out that it was detecting my TV (second monitor) as my default and it wasn't on at the time. When I unplugged the HDMI cable it instantly switched over to my monitor and installation finished very quickly. 1 hour process tops including download (that took 20 minutes for me). Haven't played with it much yet, but I'll sit down and get used to it tonight. The only problem I noticed was my Photoshop and Lightroom installs didn't stick, so I'll have to re-install those.

ALSO, installed the 4.2 camera and gallery last night. Very nice!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MSUgEEk For This Useful Post:
Copacetic (November 1st, 2012), ryancmatchett (November 1st, 2012)