View Single Post
Old November 4th, 2012, 01:32 PM   #22648 (permalink)
jhawkkw

Device(s): Nexus 5, HP 14 Chomebook w/ HSPA+, Google Glass, LTE Nexus 7(2013), Chromecast
Carrier: T-Mobile USA

Thanked 7,058 Times in 3,790 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Chief View Post
JHawk, I was under the impression that the $40 was the upgrade download, and the $70 was the upgrade disc. I understood that the full version was always $140 or so. Is that what you're saying you learned? Or are there two different versions of the full Win8 that we need to know about? Is it the OEM and the commercial release?
That's what I was under the impression as well. I went to best buy with the intention of buying the full copy but when I couldn't find it on the shelves, I asked a floor rep if they had any full version copies. He said yes and went into the back and ended up bringing out a box that was different than the ones on the floor, and didn't have the words upgrade written anywhere on it unlike the floor models. I re-asked the rep if this was the full version and he confirmed that it was. When it rang up as 70 dollars, I asked a third time if this was the full version to which he confirmed. When I got home, I opened it up to find two discs and a serial code. I thought I was good. I clean installed it this morning without a problem. When asked for the serial during installation, it took it without a problem. But when the install finished it asked me to register my serial. When I tried to do so, it failed saying it was for upgrade only.

So I went back to best buy and gave them hell for telling me incorrect information that led to me buying something that I did not want. They wouldn't let me flat out return it for a refund because it was open (which I understand due to piracy). After fighting for 40 minutes I came to the agreement that they would let me trade in my copy for an OEM full version copy of which is not even found on their website directly. If you try and search for the full version on their website, it doesn't even come up. You actually need the SKU or direct link in order to find it. So now I have that ordered and should be here by the end of the week so I can enter my serial.

The point I'm making is that the box they gave me was different from the ones you could pull off the shelf, but yet was still an upgrade. Shady business if you ask me.