View Single Post
Old November 5th, 2012, 01:30 PM   #4 (permalink)
Stuntman

Device(s): Samsung Galaxy S3, HTC Desire Z, Asus Eee Pad Transformer with Keyboard Dock, Nokia N97
Carrier: Bell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebbb View Post
- Fragmentation / stability : a common Android problem (or not ?). When I browse the forums and I see the incredible amount of phone models, I find it scary ! How do the apps can be working on so many devices, with so many processors, screen sizes, memory, etc. ? With iOS you have 2 / 3 models, but on the other hand I know that if I download an app, it will work. I tested Android on a crappy 99$ tablet, and the few apps I tried crashed everytime. Is it because of the apps, or the tablet ? Also on the Play Store there are many user feedbacks reporting crashes. These crashes may happen on some devices, and don't on other... How can the developers make 100% working apps ?
There are certain guidelines for developers to follow when making an app. It is a developer's responsibility to follow those guidelines to ensure an app works across multiple devices.

The issues you had on the crappy tablet is probably due more to the fact that the tablet is crappy than anything else. What device is this exactly?

There is no way to make an app work 100% on any platform whether it is iOS or Android. For the more popular devices, apps will likely have fewer issues than on less popular devices.

With regard to the comments on the Play Store, it is not possible to know why some people are having issues. I have used apps that have no issues even though some people with the same device complain about issues.

If there are issues, the Play Store will publish a way to send feedback to the developer. Sending info to the developer will enable them to identify any issues and get an update out to fix it. I have seen apps with issues and after some time, they issue a fix.

Quote:
- Apps optimization : on iOS many apps are optimized for retina displays. On Android, with so many screen sizes and resolutions, are the apps optimized in terms of resolution (for instance, with the Nexus 4) ? Retina games for instance are really great to play and look at.
There are guidelines for developers when making apps of different resolutions and different screen sizes. It is not just the resolution that matters. Size matters as a 5" screen and 10" screen with the same resolution need to be handled differently to ensure objects (such as text) are displayed appropriately for each device. Some refuse to support certain screen configurations. My banking app does not support landscape orientation. I sent a message to the developer and they simply told me to use the mobile web site instead if I want landscape. I guess for my bank, the mobile web site is an option that they choose to direct me to.

Quote:
- Security : I read on some forums that there were anti-virus / anti-spyware apps on Android. Coming from iOS it is very puzzling to consider that I may have to install such a software on a phone (and what about the performances with a resident anti-virus running in the background ?).
I will direct you to this article with regard to security on Android: Malware on Android: is it really the problem security companies tout it to be?

Android is designed with security in mind. You have to agree to install an app before it installs. Apps are also protected to prevent them from affecting other apps or installing other stuff on your phone. No OS is going to be 100% malware free. Even on iOS, some people have managed to get apps that do stuff that it is not supposed to do. For the most part, you should be safe as long as you install apps from official sources like the Google Play store.

Quote:
- Updates : with iOS there are frequent updates for all devices. Will it be the same with a Nexus ?
I think iOS has one major release a year with some smaller releases to fix bugs and add some features. It will be the same with Nexus devices. With non-Nexus devices or devices tied to a carrier, they will get updates as well. Usually, it takes longer for non-Nexus, carrier-tied devices because the carrier needs to approve the update as well as the device manufacturer. This will result in these devices getting updates later. Some non-Nexus phones will only get updates after a period of time after which will not receive any more or will not receive the latest OS version. Also, older devices may not have hardware that can adequately support the latest OS version with any manufacturer skin and carrier branded apps. They may still recieve updates to fix issues, though.

If you really have to get the latest OS version as soon as possible, you should consider Nexus devices. They will get the latest OS versions before non-Nexus devices.

I am going to say that unless there is a feature that you really need, a phone running on an older OS version is still going to be fine. I'm on an SGS3 that is still on ICS (Android 4.0). As nice as it would be for me to get JB (Android 4.1/4.2), there isn't anything I am really in a rush to get. There really isn't anything I find on my phone that I'm unhappy about. My phone may not have the latest and greatest, but it is still pretty awesome.
The Following User Says Thank You to Stuntman For This Useful Post:
lunatic59 (November 5th, 2012)