View Single Post
Old November 8th, 2012, 06:21 PM   #9 (permalink)
consultant
Thread Author (OP)

Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

My brief understanding was that rooting was similar to jailbreaking on iOS goign a lot further instead of just allowing non-Apple store apps via Cydia, you actually are installing an entire new firmware. Think I remember reading all kinds of posts on XDA developers or something. Some are better/more reliable than others. I would assume you can backup/restore stock firmware for warranty purposes? Now, I'm getting onto another subject, sorry. I'm all for customization, but not at the expense of reliability.

I need to find a balance between spending hours customizing my phone and just having something that reliably works well and does mostly what I want. I was sort of hoping, Jelly Bean would suffice "out of the box" but I'm naive to think that for a programmer/tinkerer/gadget freak like myself, anything will ever satisfy me "out of the box." It's just that I'm older now, have kids, busy life, three PC's in the house, tablets, smartphones, game systems, wireless hubs, external drives, programmable remotes, etc. It can really suck a lot of your time maintaining all this stuff.

I wonder if anyone has ever written sort of a "Power Users Guide for going from iPhone to Android" must have apps, etc. Things to get used to having or not having. Guess that's what this thread is for.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rxpert83 View Post
If you do any sort of programming android/rooting is for you my friend.

Make your phone truly yours