View Single Post
Old November 10th, 2012, 11:45 AM   #40 (permalink)
Bob Maxey

Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Default ArtistX

Some of you might have seen this distro already, but if you are an artist, writer or musician, you might consider downloading the live CD.

I have tried a few distros and I rather like Mint, but I also rather like ArtistX. Tons of programs. I am new to Linux so perhaps what I am so excited about is not so new; perhaps there are other distros just as feature rich and filled with applications aimed at one set of interests.

ArtistX is a large distro; around 3.5-4 gb. AX install hundreds of programs for creating 2d and 3d graphics, there are several different office suites, several word processors, quite a few text editors and more than a dozen configuration programs. There is really too much to describe here.

Tons of stuff I have never seen in a distro. I like Wine which is also installed.

It is built on Ubuntu.

I am rather surprised to see so much offered in a distro. Typically, you get the usual stuff. With this one, you get far more than you can absorb, fiddle with, experiment with, setup, and tryout.

Enlightenment:

Have you see this desktop? We talk of Gnome, KDE and the rest, but I had to discover this one on my own. Very slick and completely different than other DTs. It took me some time to figure out that desktop icons are locked in place and to move and resize them, you must right-clkck and select the action. You can configure the hell out of almost everything.

Anyway, it is snowing and I have nothing better to do than fiddle with the laptop and pester you fine folks.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bob Maxey For This Useful Post:
argedion (November 10th, 2012), EarlyMon (November 10th, 2012)