View Single Post
Old November 13th, 2012, 10:08 PM   #6 (permalink)
mogelijk

Device(s): Samsung Galaxy Nexus HSPA+, Nook HD+, HP Touchpad w/ CM10 and Nook Color (previously rooted)
Carrier: T-Mobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by phw8558 View Post
How is it using groove ip? Does it use your same number for calls?
GrooveIP uses Google Voice to make and receive phone calls, so it uses your Google Voice phone number. Personally, I use my Google Voice number as my "phone number" that I give out. I also have Google Voice on my Nexus (using the app) to make the phone calls from the phone, even if GrooveIP isn't running.

And to explain, quickly, if you don't have GrooveIP running it still uses your cell minutes. The best way to explain is that Google Voice is essentially a call forwarding service, so the cell phone is making the call but "forwarding" the call through Google Apps. One of the advantages of this is that, at home, I have my Google Voice calls also routed to my home phone -- both phones will ring. Despite being a "forwarded" call, both phones still show the caller ID of the person calling.

One last note: GrooveIP currently does not work on Android 4.2 -- I've contacted them and they claim they will release an update that fixes this problem in the next couple of days.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mogelijk For This Useful Post:
phw8558 (November 14th, 2012), tube517 (November 15th, 2012)