View Single Post
Old November 16th, 2012, 08:19 AM   #11 (permalink)
consultant
Thread Author (OP)

Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

I completely agree with you. Very good point about the N7. While it may be a strategy to keep the price low to promote wider circulation, maybe staging the release of higher capacity devices, like the N7, is simply a strategy to re-kindle interest/buzz in the device to garner more sales. A "double dose" if you will. Two release events producing more total sales over the lifecycle of the products than one. HTC One. HTC One X +. The One X (AT&T) with 16GB WAS in the same boat. The N7 with only 16GB, same thing. Now you have 32GB and 64GB. Seems to be a definite pattern here. Not like memory costs have changed significantly between releases!

I wanted the HTC One X pretty bad, but just couldn't stand the thought of putting only 1/5th of my music on the phone and the rest on the Cloud and then constantly shuffling things. Glad I waited. Patience though is a rare thing to be found in the U.S. hyper-consumer psyche these days though, IMOO. Who the hell is going to show up at Target at 8PM on Thanksgiving? A lot of people. Pretty sad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hadron View Post
I think the focus of the Nexus range has shifted. With good pricing and wide availability it looks to me more like the idea is to get pure android into wider circulation now.

Now if you look at stats for average smartphone storage use you'll find that 16GB does work for most. People here are not typical. The problem is making the options 8 and 16 rather than 16 and 32 (32 is tight for me, but I know I'm in the tail ). That's repeating the mistake they made with the N7, where they reportedly assumed that the cheaper 8GB model would be the big seller and were caught out when 16 was more popular.