View Single Post
Old November 17th, 2012, 12:10 PM   #18 (permalink)
pcrequest
Thread Author (OP)

Device(s): Nexus One - T-mobile
Carrier: Not Provided

Switch update: Got my Straight Talk SIM today. I'm glad I didn't expedite shipping because, I entered a new billing cycle about a week ago on my existing plan. So around Dec 6 I'll activate my new SIM and port. And about a month after that, I'll probably port to the T-mobile $30 prepaid plan. I suppose I can buy that SIM soon before the Straight Talk runs out.

Man, I almost wasted 3 weeks of post paid service by porting today, if I hadn't called T-mo to confirm account details. Like $60 worth! I'm just excited to try the new service. Is there any way to get out of my remainder of this billing cycle? They said no way. If you port your number, you will be responsible for all usage and Charges through the end of your current billing cycle. https://www.t-mobile.com/Templates/Popup.aspx?PAsset=Ftr_Ftr_TermsAndConditions&print =true

Also when T-mo customer support asked me why I wanted to change service providers, I talked about always having poor reception in my neighborhood, and they recommend I swap out my current "legacy" SIM at a local store (I got it with my Dash years ago). I'm skeptical, since parts of town I currently get like 4 Mbit download speed, but it won't cost me anything to try, so I'll report back on that later. Who knows, maybe I'll get access to more towers.

It occurs to me...SIM size. What a pain in the neck. What kind of space savings are we really getting? Other reasons for micro? But I digress...I don't know when I'll get my hands on a Nexus 4 (micro SIM). I need a regular SIM for my current Nexus One. When I swap out my "legacy" SIM today to see if reception is better, I'll ask if they have a cutter if I switch phones or plans later.