View Single Post
Old November 18th, 2012, 08:20 PM   #11 (permalink)
mikedt
你好

Device(s): Oppo Find 7a, Samsung Galaxy Win Duos(spare), Lenovo P700i(retired), KIRF Galaxy Note(deceased)
Carrier: China Mobile

Thanked 2,802 Times in 2,026 Posts
Send a message via Skype™ to mikedt

Quote:
Originally Posted by chanchan05 View Post
It's the Chinese prioritizing local companies, increasing tax for imported products.
I think that might come into it a bit. However I'm sure it's mostly price gouging by the non-Chinese phone-makers, just like what the designer luxury product companies do, e.g. Gucci and Prada. When it comes to TVs and computers, non-Chinese ones like Samsungs, HPs, Dells, are not really any more expensive than the TCLs, Konkas and the ChangHongs.

What phone you've got can be a status symbol here, just like the brand of cigarettes you might smoke in China. A Samsung, HTC or an Apple phone can actually be real luxury for most.

BTW some of my friends and colleagues seemed rather surprised that I bought a Chinese Lenovo phone, rather than a Korean Samsung Galaxy S2, at almost three times the price. TBH I think the Lenovo phone I got is actually better made than the Galaxy S it replaced, which I always thought was rather plasticity and slippery IMO. Certainly better suited for me here, mainly due to dual-SIM and an extended capacity battery as standard.
There are nine million bicycles in Beijing.
There are nine million Androids in Shenzhen.
Last edited by mikedt; November 18th, 2012 at 08:58 PM.