- Run Facebook
- Click the Menu button on the lower-left corner of your S3
- Select Settings (gear icon)
- Select Refresh interval
- Select an option
- For maximum battery life, you can choose Never, then each time you run Facebook, pull the screen down for a moment, then release, and you should see your feeds reload.
Many apps follow a similar principle, but they usually call it "sync" and not "refresh".
Another place to look is your phone settings' Accounts and sync:
- Pull down your notification screen (from the top of the phone down)
- Choose the "gear" icon on the upper right
- Scroll down and select Accounts and sync
- This will show you what accounts you have that synch. You can examine those accounts and make any changes you'd like to try out.