View Single Post
Old November 22nd, 2012, 01:43 AM   #34 (permalink)
ironass
Thread Author (OP)

Device(s): SGS5 SM-G900F. Rooted. KitKat 4.4.4. CM11 ROM. Baseband: NG8. CM kernel+TWRP.
Carrier: Vodafone

Thanked 3,944 Times in 2,597 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by parag1dubey View Post
Ok ironass, I just opened the Google page on stock browser and the signal did indeed fluctuate. It went from -89dbm to -97dbm while the page was loading. I am on 2G network (EDGE, I think). What does this mean??? :P
I noticed that you ignored my second question entirely.... Point taken...
What second question?

It means that you are receiving the slowest/weakest signal of all, EDGE, 2.5G. Lower than 3G, HSDPA or HSPA. The higher the -dBm the worse the signal. The higher the ASU, the better the signal. So -97dBm 9asu is worse than -67dBm 16asu.

Therefore it is your signal that appears to be the problem and no ROM or modem will change that I'm afraid. I would suggest finding a carrier with a stronger signal in your area as your web browsing etc; must be very slow on EDGE. As you can see from the screenshot below, the transfer speed on HSPA is 21.6Mbit/s. On 3G it is only 384kbit/s.

This is a good HSDPA signal

Dummies Guides Rooting Galaxy S4 * Know Your S4 * Update Problems * Knox Security * Bloatware * GPS
Last edited by ironass; November 22nd, 2012 at 01:47 AM.