Thread: Support Stratosphere won't turn on!
View Single Post
Old November 23rd, 2012, 01:10 PM   #11 (permalink)
SilverFang
Thread Author (OP)

Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Quote:
Originally Posted by acejavelin View Post
Rooting can't really fix anything, it is a common misconception that "rooting" is some kind of magic, but all it does is allow applications to call the su binary (su is short for Switch User, not SuperUser) that allows them read-write access to areas of the filesystem they cannot normally get to.

Installing a customer recovery, such as CWM Recovery, is the first step in rooting your device since it allow unsigned ZIP packages to be installed which the stock recovery does not. The real issue here is that there is no full ROM image available, and custom ROMs for the Stratosphere are in short supply, once the FF1 update is installed the only non-stock ROM currently available is Dwitherell's stock/rooted ROM. I would suggest heading over to RootzWiki's Stratosphere forums for more information, that is really the only forum that has any real development or work going for the Stratosphere.
I tried to do a factory reset, but the recovery mode screen always jumps away when I try to activate it (I press both Vol+ and Vol-, recovery mode screen comes up but goes instantly, then the phone goes into a boot loop again).

Can I follow this guide to try rooting it? Or is it not FF1 compatible? Is FF1 the update that came a month or two ago? Thanks.

[How To] Root and ROM your new Stratosphere! (7/28/2012) - Stratosphere - RootzWiki
Last edited by SilverFang; November 23rd, 2012 at 01:28 PM.