Thread: Support Odin on GNU/Linux
View Single Post
Old April 5th, 2010, 11:11 PM   #31 (permalink)
purplewakanda
Thread Author (OP)

Device(s): Samsung Galaxy i7500 Galaxo 1.6
Carrier: Not Provided

Quote:
Originally Posted by sado1 View Post
There's no way to use Odin in Linux to flash Samsung's firmwares. Galaxo is another thing though, as you only need to flash recovery and then you're free to install this rom. Some parts of the phone can't be flashed that way though (baseband?). You can use Virtualbox (non-open source edition is needed as it's the only one that's got USB support) with Windows installed. You just need to connect your Galaxy and in virtual machine options you need to redirect Galaxy usb devices. Could you explain to me what's the purpose of these scripts you wrote here and why just normal pass-through through VM options doesn't work?
I use the open source edition of VirtualBox. By default mount -n -t usbfs /proc/bus/usb /proc/bus/usb is not commented in /etc/rc.sysinit. That means your local account and root only has access to your usb and the usb get greyed in Virtalbox. So that line needs to be commented and mount -t usbfs -o devgid=$(awk -F: '/^vboxusers:/{print $3}' /etc/group),devmode=664 /proc/bus/usb /proc/bus/usb needs to be added so that vboxusers have permission. You need to add your local user to vboxusers group so that the permission can be inherited.