View Single Post
Old November 28th, 2012, 12:35 PM   #1050 (permalink)
raiderleaf

Device(s): Galaxy Note II
Carrier: Verizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by pool_shark View Post
The same guy you're using as your defense posted a follow-up article the very next day.

Verizon: No free tethering for unlimited data plan customers

Summary: It turns out that Verizon will still be charging unlimited data plan customers if they want to share their 3G and 4G connections by tethering with Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, or USB-empowered devices.
Verizon: No free tethering for unlimited data plan customers | ZDNet
Okay so here is the scoop:

I just got off the phone with Daniel Ayala from Verizon Wireless who is a customer service support manager. He put me on hold for 15 minutes to review this with upper management to find out the story. Here are the results:
  • Current Unlimited Data customers WHO USE THE BUILT IN HOT-SPOT CAPABILITY will be charged $30/mo for their tethering service. Customers who are on a restricted data package (with GB limits) can tether for free using this capability but are susceptible to overage charges if they exceed their GB limit.
  • For Unlimited Data Package Customers, the $30/mo tethering charge can be AVOIDED ENTIRELY if you use a 3rd Party application to tether (NOT THE BUILT-IN HOTSPOT CAPABILITY). Daniel gave SPECIFIC instruction that users with unlimited data packages can go to the Google Play Store (Used it by name) and download a 3rd party app to tether. This way, it shows up that unlimited data shows as being used through a 3rd party app instead of a 1st party provided service which still falls within the Verizon guidelines. The call was recorded and I can reference it anytime in the future should Verizon try to floor me on my bill if I do it this way.

With that said, does anyone know of any good 3rd party tethering apps that are compatible with the new Jelly Bean on the GN2?