View Single Post
Old November 30th, 2012, 12:53 PM   #13 (permalink)
Esha77

Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Quote:
Originally Posted by ouch1976 View Post
Can we rekindle this discussion? I'm in the market for a 7" tablet and I'm torn on which way to go.

Of course I love the idea of the Nexus 7 cause the chip, software, and screen are the bomb. But, the lack of expandable memory and rear-facing camera might be enough to make me look elsewhere. And it seems like the only viable competitor is the Tab 2. Any other suggestions?

In the past I had an HTC Flyer and really liked it, but it was heavy and slow and felt outdated. I also have a Galaxy 7.0 Plus, but I wasn't keen on TouchWiz on Gingerbread. Ideally, I would want HTC to just blow up the DROID DNA to 7" and dump the cellular technology, but I don't think that would come in under $250.

But is there anything else out there worth looking at?
At first I was put off by the idea of no memory card slot on the Nexus 7, but everything else just screamed at me to buy it. I'm not really too bothered about the camera, so can't comment on that. As far as I'm concerned, compared to the specs of the Samsung Tab 2. the Nexus wins hands down in every other respect. What finally swung it for me was this: I bought an OTG cable (don't get the cheapest one, it's a false economy, and they don't fit well) which you connect to your Nexus through the micro usb conection. I also bought a USB micro card reader for my 32gb micro card, which connects to the OTG cable. All you then have to do is download 'Nexus Media Importer' from the Google Play Store, once installed, any external media card, usb flash drive or powered hard drive connected to the OTG cable is immediately recognised by the Nexus, and you can watch anything from your external sources straight on your Nexus. You can also transfer stuff from your external sources to the Nexus, but not the other way round, unless you want to go down the 'rooted' road, which I would strongly advise against, unless you don't mind voiding your warranty.
Hope this helps you to decide.
TIP: As of today (30/11/12) The 32GB Nexus 7 is 179 at the moment from the Carphone Warehouse
The Following User Says Thank You to Esha77 For This Useful Post:
ouch1976 (November 30th, 2012)