View Single Post
Old December 2nd, 2012, 07:56 PM   #33 (permalink)
Speed Daemon
Disabled

Device(s):
Carrier: Sprint

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevincott View Post
Have you considered a private Linux based FTP server?
I wouldn't put something as insecure as FTP out on the Internet in the 21st century, but I have colocated my own UNIX® host. I was an early client of and adviser to the California Community Colocation Project back when they were still colocated in Palo Alto, CA, and went on to be a founding member and chief executive of the Chicago Community Colocation Project which was located in, you guessed it: Chicago.

Both 501(c)(3) projects were based on buying colocation rack space, AC power and Internet connectivity at discount rates, with those who could afford to pay more subsidizing free services for other charitable businesses that needed an Internet presence. This model worked well as long as there were enough members with the disposable income (and altruistic desires) to kick in donations that covered our monthly expenses when our charity clients couldn't. Unfortunately market forces made this model unsustainable in the long run.

Quote:
Buffalo TeraStations, Qnap and other servers can be had for new/used at reasonable prices.
Those are great for home use, but not suitable for Internet colocation. I have a Netgear ReadyNAS box at home. It's simple and compact, but my file server based on a full computer chassis, with a powerful RAID card moves files a LOT faster.

The bottom line is that I can't justify the expense of colocating my own machine on the Internet at this time. My account on an ISP-provided host is working for me now, but I'm interested in spending less, not more for storing data on an Internet host.