View Single Post
Old December 3rd, 2012, 07:28 PM   #50 (permalink)
Joelgp83

Device(s): Samsung Galaxy Prevail (CM7 beta5)
Carrier: Not Provided

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed Daemon View Post
DRM stands for "digital rights management." DRM prevents unfettered copying of copy-protected files like music purchased from certain websites.
It appears I misspoke. I am well aware of what DRM is and what it entails. I was asking about what DRM software could possilbly be on SD cards since I've never seen any there.

Quote:
What you don't see is that ~10% of the storage capacity that you paid for is devoted to software that's ready and waiting for an application program on a computer, smart phone etc. to access it and let the application prevent copying DRMed files to the SD card.
Wait, seriously?! I thought that was just the standard space-taken-up-due-to-file-allocation-table stuff! Then again, I guess that would explain why my 8gb SD cards apparantly need a FAT table 700 mb in size.

Quote:
If you're using file formats that don't support DRM, and using software other than Windows Media Player, you're not likely to see anything more than an available capacity that doesn't add up to what the label promises.
....And THAT explains why I've never encountered it. Practially none of my music or files have DRM on it.

Still, that is horribly disenheartening to hear about. Unless it is explicitly mentioned on the packaging, storage devices should be completely agnostic to what you put on it. If they're THAT insistent on adding incoming file-checking software on the cards, they should've added some sort of generic antivirus instead -- that would be much more beneficial use of space than worrying about "licenses", IMO.