View Single Post
Old December 4th, 2012, 06:35 PM   #27 (permalink)
Kamau

Device(s): Motorola Xoom, Galaxy S3, Galaxy Note 3
Carrier: Virgin Mobile, T-Mobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Maxey View Post
Say . . . what about threatening to stop paying your son or daughter's cell bill? Perhaps replace their Android powered iPhone Razor S3 X Note running Baked Apple or whatever the latest OS happens to be, with a blister packed AT&T Go-Phone from the checkout isle at Wally Mart?

These days, a kid would trade one of their eyes for a cell and a pre-paid phone that cannot Tweet, SMS or FaceBook would be humiliating.

Perhaps take away the car keys and hand the little monster a week's worth of bus tokens?

So your kid has no phone and must take public transportation. What a catastrophe; a few events that to the child makes them think their life is over.

Announce a 'minutes for grades' program. "You will receive three hours of phone time every time you earn a C; four hours for a B; and a full week for an A. An A+ gets you almost a month."

"And I'll be testing you, so no cheating. If you cheat, you will receive two empty tin cans and some string." And some good walking shows. Better learn to read a paper map.
I can see that, and I have used their cells and xbox as tools, but only a small fraction.
I'm 55,and that makes me old school. My children do as their told because (a) I said so. And (b) because it's the right thing to do.
I'm not about to make a habit of bargaining with my children, nor am I about to reward them for doing the right thing every time. Doing right is its own reward. I don't get as much as a pat on my back at work when I do right. My reward is that paycheck at the end of the week. That's life. You'll hear loads when you do wrong, but hardly a whisper when you do right. I'm simply preparing them for becoming adults, responsible grown men. Sometimes, people ask me what my contribution to society is. I tell them, raising boys to be strong & responsible men. THAT is what I give the world.
And as far as the ass whoopings go, to this day, I refrain from doing some things because I'm afraid my father, who died in 1975, will rise up and kick my ass.

Spare the rod, people, and you'll spoil the child.