View Single Post
Old December 8th, 2012, 04:48 AM   #28 (permalink)
mm43
Thread Author (OP)

Device(s): HTC Wildfire.
Carrier: Not Provided

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhsrennie View Post
An epub file is actually a .zip archive. If (in Windows) you rename something.epub to something.zip then double click it you'll see it open just like a zip file. In the list of contents you'll see lots of .html files - you usually get one for each chapter - and also a file called cover.jpg that is the cover image.

So when you back up the epub you're actually backing up everything to do with the book - cover included.

When you import a book to Aldiko it extracts the cover, and also creates an info file called metadata.opf. However I think Aldiko only does this for convenience. Eveerything you need is in the .epub file so that's all you need to back up.
Thank you thank you
Very helpful reply. I never knew that lol
When I have found epubs on smashwords or somewhere,when I import them to calibre or my nexus they never have a cover
So thought I needed to back up the whole calibre folder, my digital editions etc etc.
Never going to get to read all the books I find, been given, loan from library (still love Real books) and elibrary lol But finding lots of interesting ones I would never normally read