View Single Post
Old December 11th, 2012, 11:22 AM   #1110 (permalink)
big_z

Device(s): Galaxy Note 3 (black)
Carrier: TMobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCHitman1 View Post
Speaking of which, they just traded James Shields and Wade Davis to the Royals for Wil Myers (#4 prospect in Baseball America) and Jake Odorizzi. It was a 6-player trade, but the other minor league players included aren't worth mentioning.
Royals fan here. They're getting crucified on social media here in KC, but I think the trade isn't the end of the world that most people here think. I think Myers is a bit overrated, and if we can leverage that overvaluation, we should do it. He had a monster season in Rookie league (1.1-1.2 OPS) and a really good split AA/AAA season in 2012, but in between he was simply above average. He strikes out 25% of the time. Werner Park (home of the AAA Omaha team) is a definite hitters park, while Kauffman is not. I was really concerned about his ability to hit big league pitching.

Speaking of pitching, the Royals desperately need starting pitching. I went to 10 games last year. In all of the pre-ASB games I went to, the Royals' starting pitchers pitched the team out of the game by the end of the 3rd. Luke Hochevar got shelled for 7 in the first on Opening Day against Cleveland. Jonathan Sanchez gave up 3 infield singles in a row where the ball didn't make it back to the pitcher's mound in a shellacking by the Red Sux. Hochevar again coughed up something like 10 runs in 4 to the Yankees, including a Robinson Cano grand slam. We desperately need pitching and we certainly don't have $25m/yr to blow on 1 guy. This trade was one way to get it. Shields is good for $11-ish million a year for 2, and Davis is something under $5m/year, I think. That's more realistic.