Thread: Ohhh hey guys
View Single Post
Old December 13th, 2012, 11:24 AM   #8 (permalink)
Digital Controller
The Real Bass Creator

Device(s): Galaxy Note 3 4.4.2(Eclipse) , Nexus 7 (Stock), (RIP) Galaxy Nexus 4.4(SlimKat)
Carrier: Verizon

Thanked 3,420 Times in 2,163 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulTR View Post
Thanks guys! Just posted in App Announcements.

I also have one more app I'm working on, but it won't be released under my account. I'm currently a senior at Fresno State University, and for my senior project I decided to make an Android app for the zoo here. It's actually going a lot better than I expected since it's my first large solo project, my first Android app written using Java and all of the Android packages, and my first program for a professional business. I have screen shots if anyone's interested Here's the features I've added so far and have been learning from:

WebViews - Best. Things. Ever. I had a map image for the zoo, but I was having a lot of trouble getting the gesture based zoom/move aspects to work, then I found out that I could just toss an image into an HTML document and save it as an asset, and it's all built in.

Customized ListViews - Also great! Took some work to make the layouts work correctly with multiple lines of text and an image, but now that it does, it looks gorgeous.

Themes - I actually went back and edited what I have now to use themes. At the start I just hard coded a lot of my styles into the XML layout files, but once I figured out how to work with themes it was great

Locale/Language Settings - So easy to work with, it's ridiculous. Fresno has a large population that only speaks Spanish, so being able to just put all of my strings into an ES file or grab the device context and specifically set my text has been amazing

ActionBarSherlock - Not an official part of the Android platform, but this third party library has been absolutely great for navigation on old and new devices.

Other than that, just the fact that I can use a lot of Java packages in there has been great. I'm still figuring out a lot with it and fine tuning the app, but so far it's been really fun.
Good to hear, i know a lot of my friends in college choose to do Apps for their college projects as well.

Nice suggestions there, i will certainly pass it on to my friends.

Like Liamo said, if you have any questions feel free to ask

I love this community and so should you! So before posting please read:
Site Rules & Guidelines and Android FAQ's