View Single Post
Old December 14th, 2012, 02:17 PM   #33 (permalink)
Bob Maxey

Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieben View Post
Yeah, my shutterbuggery began when I was the Editor of my high school yearbook, supervised the excellent old tyme professional photographer who did the formal work, and did most of the candid photography myself. Control of depth of field was a key element in many of my (almost) great shots.
My absolute favorite portrait photographer is this guy:

Yousuf Karsh / Photographer

He was absolutely the best. His portraits tell you everything you need to know about the subject without knowing the subject. He had quite a bit to say about Depth of Field as well. As do I.

My three favorite Karsh images:

Hemingway:

and Winston

You know how serious a man Churchill just from his portrait.

And Jacqueline Kennedy:

I love the shadow and highlight details in these representitive examples of this amazing man's work.

Look at the lovely Jacqueline Kennedy . . . her dress is filled with detail even in the highlights and the deep shadows contain detail as well. The skin tones are wonderful and the entire image is flawless.

If you ever get a chance to see his work in person, go for it. The web does not do the actual prints any favors. Several books are available detailing his work and they are worth buying.

Not even that snapshooter Adams can touch Karsh. OK, Ansel is not half bad; his books are worth a look, too.