Originally Posted by CVL
Thank you for your helpfulness and guidance, it's much appreciated.
I don't understand the part where you mention Odin flashing software however. In the instructions on the xda website it says:
Instructions for Flashing OTA Files
The OTA file is a zip file that you put in your external Sd card and flash from the Recovery.
In Sammobile you have a "Needed PDA" which is the base firmware and a "Final PDA".
You need to have that base firmware (Needed PDA) on which you can flash OTA update. If you have the same PDA version you're ready to go...
You'll lose root if you have it already.
This will not increase the flash counter.
- Download OTA file "*.zip" and copy the file to the root of your external SD card
- Turn your phone off and put your device into RECOVERY MODE (simultaneously press and hold Vol + and Power buttons)
- With volume buttons (Up and Down) choose "apply update from external storage" pressing the power button
- Find and select the OTA file
- Choose "wipe data/factory restore" if you want a clean installation.
- Choose "wipe cache partitions"
- Reboot your device
There's no mentioning of Odin. I thought I'd just download the OTA zip file to my sd card, go into recovery mode, and take it from there?
My mistake - missed the part that the file is a .zip file. Yes, those can be flashed from recovery. I am used to seeing the oem releases as .tar files, and those require odin
You should be good to go
PS - if you ever decided to root your tablet, there is a Tablet.zip file over on XDA that you can flash to the JB Stock rom, it basically gives you the same tablet look and feel as the ICS 4.0.4