View Single Post
Old December 16th, 2012, 05:11 PM   #60 (permalink)
mogelijk

Device(s): Samsung Galaxy Nexus HSPA+, Nook HD+, HP Touchpad w/ CM10 and Nook Color (previously rooted)
Carrier: T-Mobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoHybrid67 View Post
Thanks for the input! Looks like the T-Mobile plan would work just fine for me, I rarely go over even 20 minutes a month with the 300 minute plan I have with VM. But they're not showing the Nexus 4 as being an available phone to go with their $30/mo plan. If I were to go that route, could I get one at someplace like WalMart and then just activate that plan through the website?

Although, the important point is that you said you thought that the SII wasn't not THAT much better than the EVO for the bucks, which is kind of how I was thinking too, so may just stick with VM, pay the extra $10 and go that route. Did think I saw somewhere that there IS an LED flash on that model? Will have to check on that, since I do make use of that all the time, for both still and video cams.

The sale is going on a bit longer, so will keep researching before I decide.

Thanks!
Sorry, I should have specified. You can bring any GSM phone onto T-Mobile, with the one caveat that it needs to support the proper frequencies to get 3G speeds in all areas.

The Nexus 4 is sold by Google from the Google Play store. While you can buy it from T-Mobile, through their stores, they charge at least $100 more for the phone. To get the Google phone to work on T-Mobile, you merely need to buy a SIM Card Activation Kit from the T-Mobile website for 99 cents (it takes about a week for shipping). You then put the SIM card in your phone, activate it online, and you are set. The Nexus is a pentaband phone; it supports the frequencies for pretty much all GSM carriers worldwide, meaning you can switch the phone to another carrier (merely by swapping the SIM card) if you travel or even if you end up unhappy with T-Mobile.

The one current issue with the Nexus 4 is that it is out of stock until, I believe, until the end of the month. Of the phones sold specifically for T-Mobile Monthly, the Galaxy SII is likely the best ($330 from Walmart with $30 T-Mobile refill card). Though, again, you aren't limited to those phones. For example, you can buy one of the phones at a T-Mobile store, paying full price, and use it on the $30 plan.
Last edited by mogelijk; December 16th, 2012 at 05:15 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to mogelijk For This Useful Post:
GoHybrid67 (December 18th, 2012)